AAIS ACIS Attendance Scholarship
The AAIS has established a scholarship to assist a research student with costs related to attending the Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) to present their full research paper or research in progress paper. The focus of the scholarship is specifically on students (Honours or PhD) who meet at least one of the following equity criteria: Indigenous Australasians; live in a rural or remote region; or would not otherwise be able to attend due to financial support not being offered by their university. The objective of the scholarship is to enable broader participation of research students, with the view of growing the diversity of Information Systems scholars in the Australasian region.
ACIS 2022 will be held from 4 to 7 December, 2022, hosted by School of Computing and Information System, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
All Australian, New Zealand, and Oceanic nation research students who meet the equity criteria can apply.
1. Conference attendance fee (including one (1) ticket to the conference dinner when the conference is held face-to-face)
2. If the conference is held face-to-face, refund of expenses up to $1,500.00 after conference attendance and submission of valid receipts. As a guide, a valid expense is an expense that would be allowable under Australian Taxation rules. Accommodation expenses will be paid as part of this amount when staying at a registered accommodation provider that issues valid tax receipts.
3. Free AIS student membership for one year (kindly sponsored by the AIS).
The submission deadline is announced annually via the AAIS mailing list (IS-Aus). These dates usually fall in October-November.
Deadline for submission: Monday 15th November 2022
Outcome announced: The winner(s) of the scholarship are notified in writing. Additionally, all applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Each year the AAIS Executive will appoint a chair and two panel members to process the applications and make the recommendation(s) to the AAIS Executive.
For 2022, the judging panel is TBA.
Selection is competitive, so please provide a clear justification with as much detail as possible. You must supply all relevant supporting documents by the closing date for your application to be considered.
The following attachments are required:
- Completed and signed AAIS ACIS Attendance Scholarship application form
- Supervisor’s supporting letter, also addressing the major justification for application
- Copy of conference acceptance letter of full research paper or research in progress paper
- Other supporting documents (as outlined under the Rules below) that provide evidence to support your application.
Nominations are to be sent via email to the AAIS President and AAIS Secretary (please see the AAIS Executive page for details of email addresses) for distribution to the Judging Panel. All components of the nomination, as listed above, need to be submitted electronically. The files can be either Word (.doc/docx) documents or pdf files.
Scholarship Selection Criteria and Rules
- Currently enrolled as an Honours or PhD student at an Australian, New Zealand or Oceanic nation university.
- Full research paper or research in progress paper accepted at current year’s ACIS conference.
- Research topic is considered by the Selection Panel to be situated in the Information Systems discipline.
- Applicant must be available to attend the three days of the conference, with optional attendance at the Welcome Reception.
- The applicant has never been awarded this scholarship.
- The applicant has not been sponsored by their home institution to attend the Doctoral Consortium.
- A fully completed application form and required documents must be received by the due date.
- Indigenous scholarship applicants must include a letter from an indigenous organisation, indigenous support officer at the enrolling university, or a community elder to confirm heritage.
- If applying for a financial scholarship, a letter from the Head of School indicating that the School cannot fund students presenting at conferences.